I prayed for this child and the Lord has granted me what I asked of him. 1 Samuel 1:27

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Wikipedia defines acupuncture as...

Acupuncture is the procedure of inserting and manipulating filiform needles into various points on the body to relieve pain or for therapeutic purposes.
Therapeutic? Yeah right (you are probably saying)....why would you willingly go and get stuck more than I already have over the last 6 months?? Why? because when you want something badly enough, you will try all the means possible to achieve your goal. I've heard many people suggest the use of acupuncture in conjunction with IVF. I've read about it and talked to Dr. H. about it. While there is no proven evidence out there that is hands down aids in the success of IVF....it can have definite calming effects and I will do just about anything to reduce stress and anxiety.
Wikipedia goes on to mention infertility and acupuncture and has this to say:
Acupuncture regulates the hypothalamus and pituitary glands in your brain which can be thrown out of equilibrium due to stress, aging process, and other environmental factors inhibiting its ability to function properly. Acupuncture promotes the circulation of blood in the pelvic cavity which improves ovarian function. Acupuncture is beneficial in promoting follicle production, enhancing uterine blood flow, and improving uterine lining thickness. Thereby positively enhancing overall health increases the chances of conception.
It can't really harm the process....so why not try it??!
Then along came the Fogo's! :)
Jason and I met Justin and Mary Fogo about a year or so ago through the wine club that we are members of. Justin is a chiropractor in the town we live in and Mary manages the office. These people have hearts of gold...and I don't think they've ever met a stranger. (Ansley, you were right....you knew I'd love the Fogo's!) A couple months ago we found out that Justin wanted us to come to him for acupuncture treatments. I was immediately willing and intrigued by the idea. We met with him yesterday and discussed our history...and came up with a plan. The idea of being stuck with needles really didn't freak me out at all (Jason, YES...me NO! LOL!) I was anxious to see if it would really relax me like I've heard so much about. There are MANY, MANY points on the body that acupuncture can target. Justin had definitely done his research and knew just the points he would focus on:
1. the top of the foot between the web of your big toe and second toe
2. on the ankle
3. right below the knew cap
4. two right above the pelvic bone
5. the top of the hand where your thumb and first finger meet
6. on the face between your eyebrows
Each spot has specific reasons for "pin pointing"...sorry for the pun. :)
The needles are so thin....it honestly looks like a hair and almost invisible. it doesn't hurt AT ALL. I mean, maybe the slightest prick or pinch...but virtually pain free. After Justin turned me into a human pin cushion he and Jason left the room....he turned all the lights out and shut the door. He left me laying there in total silence for the next 20 minutes. I knew the purpose of this was to release all my stress and just LET GO. At first I just took a few big deep breaths and my mind started racing about a lot of things. Then I just told myself to stop...it's very hard to stop my mind from racing...but I tried really hard. What I found was it was a perfect time for to me to focus on prayer. What better time to basically meditate and talk to God. So I did just that. I spent most of the next 20 minutes in prayer. When Justin came back and turned the lights back on I really did realize how completely relaxed I was. I never fell asleep, but I can see how you easily could. Justin get acupuncture himself for headaches and he did mention that these treatments could make me feel lethargic like I just need a nap. He was right, I felt so at ease and relaxed. For now I will continue to go in once a week, then when our actual IVF cycle starts I will go twice a week.
I'm so grateful to Justin & Mary that they want to do this for us. Once again, we are so reminded of how lucky we are to have amazing people in our lives. Justin touched my heart when he told yesterday that he just hopes we can all look back one day and say they had a hand in this. It means so much to me that they want to help. My heart is happy today and that's a wonderful feeling. :)

3 comments:

  1. I'll take your word for it. I have a 5 years old fear of needles, like seriously. I'm glad it was great for you though. I'm praying for you and Jason constantly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you got together with the Fogos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah they're great people...and a beautiful baby too!!! I'm glad you got to see them...hope it helps!

    I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete