I prayed for this child and the Lord has granted me what I asked of him. 1 Samuel 1:27

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

What a difference a month makes...

June 10th was when we got the first call about this adoption. I can't believe it's almost been a month. So much has happened in that short period of time. A lot of you who have emotionally invested in our journey have been curious about more details of how this incredible situation came about. I feel more comfortable now with sharing more of the story...

Jason and I had not made any advancements in pursuing adoption...we took some time after the last IVF cycle and we knew after our Bahamas vacation that we would focus on the adoption process. Back in April we met Jeannette through a mutual friend, Marlin. Little did we know that Jeannette would become our attorney! Jeannette was approached by some friends about their daughter's pregnancy. Because she knew about our journey (through Marlin and our blog) she immediately thought of us and our desire to become parents. So, on the night of June 10th I got a call from Jeannette about this possible opportunity. Just 4 short days later she needed an adoption portfolio from us. Like I said...we had done NOTHING to prepare for this so we obviously didn't have a portfolio put together. We got the portfolio together...a finished product that we were extremely happy with. So, on June 15th it was delivered to the birth family. And by June 19th they graciously invited us into their home...to meet them and their daughter. It's a moment I will never forget....and a meeting that I am going to choose to keep private between the parties involved. But I will share this one detail from that night. Birth mom told us that when she was reading our portfolio...she felt the baby kick...for the first time. Cue tears and a flood of emotions. What better sign from God that this is part of his plan? On June 21st we got the phone call with the news...birth mom had chosen adoption...and she had chosen Jason and I as the adoptive parents!!!!!!!!!!!  And on July 1st we learned that the baby is a BOY! :) We can say - he and him...instead of "it". So as I've quickly described...A LOT has happened in the past month.

What's the other essential ingredient in the adoption process? A homestudy! Typically these are done at the very beginning of starting a journey on adoption. Our situation is a tad unique. :) So, Jeannette put us in contact with a great social worker to take care of our homestudy. Our first visit was July 1st. That meeting involved a home inspection and going over all the paperwork we need. Background checks, fingerprinting, lots of documentation. Today, July 6th is our second visit. Tonight's visit includes a private interview with just me and the social worker...and then a private interview with just Jason and the social worker. I went first...so I'm actually typing this as Jason is having his interview. Just as you would imagine...lots of questions....childhood memories...questions about my parents...about growing up...about school...about work history....all kinds of stuff.  Our next meeting is next Tuesday the 13th. That will involve our interview with Jason and I together. And that will conclude the homestudy! Then we just wait on our background checks to come back. Because this is a private adoption the amount necessary is a bit less than the average adoption. Of course I believe...no adoption is "average".

So for now we just finish up the homestudy process...and acquire the funds to make this possible. That part is starting to stress me out. But God brought us to this situation...He will bring us through it. Do I think He will make money fall from the sky? No. But I firmly believe that He will open doors to make that possible.

The emotions of all of this are starting to catch up with me. Tears one minute....HUGE grin the next. It's been quite an experience thus far. All of the pieces seem to finally be falling into place for us. We just pray that God continues to work on "birth mom's" heart and know that she is making the best decision for the future of that precious baby boy. Our lives would forever be changed. I feel like our lives have already been changed...just in the past month. What a feeling........ :)

So while we're waiting....we will try to be patient, hopeful, humble, thankful, prayerful.

2 comments:

  1. Kara,

    What glorious news of your upcoming bundle of joy!!! Praise God that he has answered so many prayers!!! It's been a while since I have read your blog so I was quite shocked that God has taken care of you in such a special way. I sit here with tears coming down my cheeks because I am so happy for you and Jason.

    Please don't forget to blog and keep us informed of your journey.

    Lots of love and Roses,
    Tara Cooper Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO happy for you guys!!!!!

    ReplyDelete