I prayed for this child and the Lord has granted me what I asked of him. 1 Samuel 1:27

Sunday, February 28, 2010

For better or worse...through sickness and health...



Tomorrow, March 1st is our 2nd anniversary. 2 years ago we got married in Savannah, GA. The ceremony was at dusk in Forysth Park...with the reception at Paula Deen's restaurant. It was a perfect day...the weather was incredible...the azalea's were in full bloom...it exceeded our expectations. I paid attention to every tiny detail...and it paid off. It was the best day of my life. More importantly than all the details...it was so perfect because I married my best friend. I married a man I waited 27 years for. We were so full of bliss....never in our wildest dreams did we imagine the road God had planned for us. The struggles we have gone through the past 2 years can certainly test a relationship. Just like our wedding day....my husband has exceeded my expectations as well. He might not always be the best at telling me what he's feeling....but I know with all my heart that he is the best thing that ever happened to me...and I can't imagine going through this with anyone else. I take this opportunity on this blog to tell Jason...and the world....I love you with all my heart and I promise each and every day to exceed YOUR expectations and be the best wife I can be...

With all that being said I want to stray away from the topic of IVF for a bit and dedicate the rest of this blog post to food. Yes, food. Those of you know that know me well, know that I love food...I love to cook food...I love to eat food...I love to talk about food. Jason took me to a fabulous anniversary dinner last night to Highlands Bar & Grill. If you are from Birmingham you know about Highlands. It's one of the most coveted restaurants in the city and I've wanted to eat there for years. The meal was above and beyond what we hoped for and worth every penny. One of mine and Jason's favorite dishes is beef carpaccio. If you aren't familiar with what that is...it's raw beef that is sliced paper thin....basically tissue paper thin. They line the plate with the beef and then in the middle of the plate was a horseradish sauce... then it was topped with shaved Parmesan and a pile of arugula. It is heaven on a plate. Luckily Jason and I share the same passion for food. :) Next was the salad...I got the fried oyster salad. It was a huge generous portion of romaine lettuce, fried oysters and then fried pieces of red bell pepper and thin slices of lemon that were fried as well. I never thought of frying a lemon slice...but the combination of flavors worked so well together. I would go back and order this as an entree. In fact, I'm going to try and recreate this dish at home very soon. Again, heaven on a plate. On to the entree (and yes...by this point I was already full...but this isn't an opportunity to pass up....). Jason and I both decided to try something new. I got the Pompano & Scallops. Pompano is a white fish that is firm yet delicate. Scallops are one of my favorite things...but they can easily be overcooked....I knew Highlands wouldn't disappoint. It was served with a brown butter sauce, capers and then roasted cauliflower and fingerling potatoes. This was a dish I could only aspire to recreate at home. Food like this makes me so happy. It was incredible. Jason got the Triggerfish. It came with a beet relish, toasted walnuts, radishes and steamed potatoes. Another fabulous choice. Still trying to find room in my tummy...it was on to dessert. We got two choices and shared. :) The sweet & salty chocolate cake and the coffee creme brulee. The cake...it was this incredibly moist chocolate cake with a dark chocolate ganache. It had a caramel sauce on the plate and sea salt was sprinkled on it. Ingenious idea. I think now any time I have chocolate cake in the future I am going to reach for the sea salt. It was just one of those odd combinations that just plain worked. To die for. On to the coffee creme brulee....Jason and I both adore creme brulee. The addition of the coffee made it even better. The burnt sugar crust on creme brulee makes me a happy girl...it's just such a wonderful treat. The dessert plates had "Happy Anniversary" written in chocolate sauce on them. They were beautiful presentations. I so badly wanted to reach for my camera and snap pictures of all of the plates of food....but I resisted. To sum up, it was a totally fabulous meal....one we will never forget. Hopefully we can make a trip back at some point in the future.

Happy Anniversary Jason! I love you! :)

3 comments:

  1. My favorite ice cream is sea salt pretzel and you can only find it in pint size at Target. I never thought about sea salt and chocolate either, but it is the best. Glad you had a great anniversary dinner. Sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!THAT DON'T SOUND LIKE THE DR. FOGO LEAFY GREEN DIET.:)AFTER A NIGHT LIKE THAT I HOPE WE CAN SAY AFTER 9 MONTHS THE BABY WAS CONCEIVED ON FEB. 27 2010.AS FAR AS TRYING TO EXCEED JASONS EXPECTATIONS THAT'S NOT GOING TO BE HARD. ALL MEN ARE VERY SIMPLE CREATURES, FEED EM AND....WELL IN THE FAMOUS WORDS OF JIM OLIVER : DO MAITENANCE ON EM AND THEIR FINE.
    THAT'S TERRIFIC THAT YOU GUYS WERE ABLE TO GET OUT AND GET YOUR MIND OFF OF THINGS FOR ONE NIGHT, I HOPE IT HELPED.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel I need to clarify a couple things...
    Dr. Fogo (my acupuncturist) isn't the one who suggested the leafy green diet...it was a speaker at me RESOLVE meeting last month.
    Also...I've mentioned a few times in this blog before that it's phyiscally impossible for us to conceive a baby naturally. I understand that some people with fertility issues go on to get pregnant on their own, but for me, with no fallopian tubes, it's impossible. Frankly, it feels like a knife in the heart any time someone alludes to the fact that it could happen.
    I know you mean well...but just please keep that in mind "anonymous"...because comments like that do sting a bit.

    ReplyDelete