I prayed for this child and the Lord has granted me what I asked of him. 1 Samuel 1:27

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Leafy greens & pineapple...

Monday night’s RESOLVE meeting went really well. I’m so glad I went. The first part of the meeting was a very informative session from a local acupuncturist. She’s really big on Chinese medicine (herbs, etc.) so it was interesting to hear about that. Having already started acupuncture with Dr. Fogo, I already knew a lot of what she told us on the acupuncture side. But it was still beneficial for me. The philosophy behind acupuncture has do with blood…a healthy blood flow through out the body…and creating the right kind of energy from your body. There is a lot you can do to help the quality of your blood, and a big portion of that comes from your diet. She stressed it many times…eat lots of leafy greens. If you are going to commit to something like IVF, you need to REALLY commit to it. Make sure you do everything possible so you can look back and know that you’ve done all you could do. I am actually fortunate that I’m one of those people that likes to eat healthy. Do I always do it….of course not. But I truly do like vegetables, especially the dark leafy greens. So…an overhaul of food in the Oliver house is about to happen (sorry Jason!). I am going to have to make a conscious effort to get more vegetables in my diet. I didn’t really do that the first IVF round…so any modifications that can work in my favor, I’m up for it! Another thing she stressed is water. We’ve all heard this a thousand times….drinking plenty of water is the one of the best things you can do for your body. At a minimum, 64 ounces a day. I really try to get that in…but it doesn’t always happen. Again, I’m going to have to make a conscious effort.

After she spoke we all went around the table and shared stories about our lives. Some of these girls have been around each other for months so they were already familiar with their background and journeys thus far. Regardless, it was so helpful to hear others that are battling the same struggles that Jason and I are. Each story was unique, but we all have that common bond that is so hard for some to understand or relate to. In sharing, one of the girls brought up the importance of eating pineapple (fresh...not canned or frozen). I know there are a lot of old wives tales out there (so this totally could fall into that category), but apparently pineapple has an enzyme called bromelain, which is supposed to somehow aid in implantation of the embryo into the uterus. So, I would need to eat it starting the day of embryo transfer up until the time I would find out if was pregnant. I know, some of you are probably sitting there rolling your eyes going – Kara…eating pineapple isn’t going to get your pregnant. But…walk the last year in my shoes and you’ll be up for trying any and all suggestions. And I LOVE pineapple…so I will absolutely be testing that theory! The girl who told me to try it….she’s pregnant after a few attempts at IVF. Just sayin’….

So, at this point I’m still taking the prometrium and waiting on my period to start. Well, I started the pills last Monday (day 16 of my cycle) and I was supposed to take them for 10 days. The label on the bottle said – take one pill at bedtime, days 16-25. The other night I’m thinking…um, there are still quite a bit of pills left. And right there on the label it says, quantity: 20. So, got clarification from the doctor’s office. I was supposed to be taking TWO at bedtime. I don’t know if the nurse that called it in got it wrong…or the pharmacy got it wrong. So, she told me to just start taking 2 at bedtime and keep taking them until either I start…or run out of pills. I know mistakes happen, but let’s be honest, when they happen to you it’s just super frustrating.
Another suggestion was given about a book to read: The Infertility Cure – I think it talks a lot about diet and other factors that can aid in helping along those follicles and embryos. So, I’ll be buying that book. In addition, there is a fertility yoga DVD that the acupuncturist suggested….so I’m going to be hitting up amazon.com for both!

I’m still struggling daily that God has a plan and knows what’s best. I have to remind myself all the time. For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord…..

Thanks to everyone who continue to check up on us! It means so much!

5 comments:

  1. HOLY CRAP!! IF NOTHING ELSE YOU SURE ARE GOING TO HAVE ALOT OF KNOLEDGE BOUT THIS STUFF.I DON'T KNOW HOW YOU KEEP UP WITH ALL THAT. YOU HAVE GOT ONE HECK OF A HUBBY TO BE PATIENT WITH YOU THROUGH ALL THIS.I COULD NOT DO IT.I REALY HOPE THIS WORKS OUT FOR BOTH OF YOU.IT SOUNDS VERY STRESSFULL AND TIRESOME. MAYBE YALL COULD TAKE WALKS AROUND THE NEIGHBOR HOOD IN THE EVENING AND NOT EVEN DISCUSS THIS, YOU KNOW JUST KINDA GET OUT A LITTLE AND TRY TO RELAX.WELL .... IT IS KINDA COLD OUT SO MAYBE A GOOD MOVIE COULD HELP YOU GUYS RELAX.A GOOD STIFF DRINK WOULD BE NICE BUT THAT'S A NO NO AT THIS POINT.BEST OF LUCK AND WE ARE PRAYING FOR POSOTIVE THINGS TO HAPPEN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I ate so many leafy greens yesterday it made me sick. The things we do...=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am proud of you for researching everything and doing anything you can to help get a little baby Oliver! You are a strong woman girl and I am always here for you! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. KEEP THE UPDATES COMIN. THEY'RE HELPFULL TO READ AS MUCH AS THEY ARE FOR YOU TO WRITE.I HOPE THE DIET GOES WELL.(POOR JASON)
    FOR BETTER OR FOR WORSE AND THROUGH SICKNESS AND HEALTH!!!! MEN DON'T ALWAYS HERE THAT PART.KINDA FUN BEING MARRIED,ESPECIALY WHEN LOVE IS TESTED THROUGH HARD TIMES. BUT IT'S ALSO FUN HAVING SOMEONE THEIR TO BE APART OF ALL LIFE HAS TO OFFER. I AM SO EXCITED AND ANCIOUS FOR THE BOTH OF YOU,I REALY AM HOPING THINGS WORK OUT.I BET WHEN THIS IS OVER JASON WILL HAVE A DRINK AND SMOKE A CIGAR THE SIZE OF MY LEG.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok...Anonymous....PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE reveal yourself to me!!!!!!! It's driving me nuts!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete