I prayed for this child and the Lord has granted me what I asked of him. 1 Samuel 1:27

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

A little lesson in IVF...

I know it’s still July…but today I changed my calendar over to August….because just seeing the word “August” makes me smile. It is the month Jason and I have been waiting for!!!!!!

I’ve said before that I’m not the most patient person…and all this waiting is starting to get to me. I’m so ready for Monday to get here so I can have the sonogram to check on that cyst. I’ve been having some unusual pains in my lower stomach so I’m hoping that means the cyst is getting smaller, or even better…that it is gone! Pending good sonogram results, I will start my shots that night (Monday, August 3rd).

Some of you have been curious as to what I will be taking, how often, etc. Here is an overview…

First I will begin on a daily injection of Lupron. Lupron is a synthetic form of a natural occuring hormone in your body. It will decrease my estrogen and progesterone levels (i.e. more than likely drain my energy). However, this suppression of hormones is much desired during this process. I will take an injection of Lupron every night for about 25 days. It's a very small needle and this shot I can administer myself in my leg.
Second I will begin my stimulation medication, or commonly referred to as STIMs.This is actually 2 different medications that I will have to mix together in a vial. This will aid in the development of mature ovarian follicles and eggs (a very essential part!) The STIM's medication is also in an injectable form. However, this one is a much longer needle and Jason will have to step up to the plate to give me this shot, as it has to go into my hip. These are every night as well....so it appears we will have a fun little nightly routine for a month or so. (I'm lauging now...and hopefully later too). A possible side effect from this portion of the protocol is enlarged ovaries...fluid can accumulate in the abdomen resulting in bloating and weight gain (fun stuff).
So, at this point...about 15 days in I will be on 2 injections a day...in addition I'll be going into the office for routine bloodwork to check various hormone levels. Thirdly, 2 days before the scheduled egg retrieval I will take a series of HCG injections. HCG prepares the mature follicles for ovulation. A guess what?? Another lovely injectable medication!
In addition to all of this Jason and I will both be on an antibiotic one week prior to egg retrieval. The purpose of this is to prevent any possible infection...which could hinder implantation of the embryos.
The next step is egg retrieval and embryo transfer. I will talk more about these processes later as we get closer to the time.

I hope this gives you all a better insight as to the process. I have learned that each IVF cycle is tailored to the patient, so this can vary from couple to couple. It's also becoming more and more clear just how detailed this process is. For all those that have thought..."oh, you can't get pregnant? Just do IVF!" It's a little more complicated that that!

I do want to take a minute to say thank you. Thank you to all of you who have written to me or called me to tell me you are following along with this blog. I've said before that I'm writing this for selfish reasons, really. It does help to get it all down on "paper". But I'm finding in writing this that people just really love reading the blog. Thank you to all my faithful readers. :)

3 comments:

  1. Came across you blog through Morgan and just wanted to say Hi! Your blog is so amazing and I just wanted to say that I will be praying for you. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kara I'm definitely keeping you and Jason in my prayers!!!! Good luck at your appt tomorrow!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayers from the other side of the world!!! I miss you and love you!!!

    ReplyDelete