I prayed for this child and the Lord has granted me what I asked of him. 1 Samuel 1:27

Monday, August 3, 2009

The Lupron fun begins!

So, this morning’s doctor visit went great! The sonogram showed that the cyst has greatly diminished in size…2 cm or less. So, that is great! I guess all those little pains I’ve been having the past few weeks was that booger shrinking down! The nurse also counted my follicles. The follicles are what turns into eggs….she counted at least 20! That is so awesome!

It was so refreshing to get nothing but great news at this doctor’s visit….and I was so glad Jason was there with me. Every ounce of information he can learn is great. I’ve been reading up on this process for months so I basically know what all of this means but sometimes it’s just hard for a man to grasp all of this! I’ve encouraged Jason to accompany me to most all of these visits so he can learn more and more. I think it really has helped him. At first that screen just looked like the doplar radar to him….but now we are pointing out ovaries and follicles (ok, with the help of the nurse….but still, it’s a learning process!) This morning as we were looking at all those black blobs the nurse said – “one day one of these black blobs will have a heartbeat inside of it”. My heart just melted at the thought of that….the yearning I have so deep inside of me to hear that long awaited heartbeat. I know it will be the best sound Jason and I have ever heard.
But in order for us to get to that day….we have to endure the not so fun stuff first. The shots begin tonight for me. Daily lupron injections is the first on the schedule.

After we left the doctor’s office I went by the pharmacy to pick up my first round of injections. It’s not just pulling up to the Wallgreens drive through….it’s a pharmaceutical company that specializes in fertility drugs. I walked in and was immediately blown away by all the pictures of babies. And in my welcome packet of information was a note that read:
Dear Patient,
Like your doctor’s office, we would like for you to send us a picture of your baby for our display if you can. It will be encouraging to others that may come into our pharmacy and pick up their medications.
Thank you.

I can only hope to walk in that pharmacy with a framed picture of baby Oliver one day. What a special day that will be. Because I know that one day someone else, just like me, will walk in that office….and be blown away by all the pictures….and have renewed hope.

They brought out a big tub overflowing with boxes, bags of syringes, etc. and I asked the girl – um, is ALL of that for me? Why, yes it is, she said. All I picked up today was the Lupron. It’s very convenient that I can just go back when I need to pick up the next thing on the agenda. It would not be good if something happened midway through this cycle and I had to delay everything. Then I’m stuck with hundreds of dollars of medication that is useless to me. I don’t want to chance it!

But as the nurse said this morning….as of right now…..everything looks perfect! Now that’s a word I haven’t heard until now!

4 comments:

  1. Jennifer told me your appt went well and you'd be posting. I'm so EXCITED you got good news. Truly made my heart melt and brought tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kara it is encouraging to read your positive thoughts during a challenging time. I will be praying for your family to grow:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, PLEASE don't name your baby "Oliver Oliver"...haha j/k I know you wouldn't do that...would you?

    I can't wait to see what comes of all this. Thanks for letting us in on all the [gory] details (haha, you know I love them) and for letting us hold your hand just a bit as you go through this.

    Love love,
    your favorite person in South Korea

    P.S. I need your address!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This brought tears to my eyes- I'm so happy things are starting to look up for you and Jason. I know you still have a journey ahead of you but it is so encouraging to see that you have remained so positive:) Will continue to pray for you all (you, Jason and peanut)

    ReplyDelete