I prayed for this child and the Lord has granted me what I asked of him. 1 Samuel 1:27

Monday, August 24, 2009

Retrieval is scheduled!

This morning's appointment revealed a few things!

1. I have about 30 healthy mature follicles/eggs ready to be retrieved! Most of them are measuring right at 2cm which is right where they should be.

2. I stop taking the Lupron and STIM's shots, so last night were my last injections of those medications. (I responded excellently! Ok, I don't think that is really a word...but whatever, I'm bragging here!)

3. Tonight I take the HCG injection, which is taken 36 hours before the retrieval procedure. This "triggers" the mature follicles for ovulation and gets them ready for retrieval.

4. I have to start another medication today. This is just a pill (thank goodness, not another shot). Apparently I am close to borderline of "over stimluating". My estradiol level today was 3,125. Any time it's over 3,000 they go ahead and put the patient on this medication as a preventative. I don't need to overstimulate in the next 36 hours. For one, it can be a very painful thing to go through (from what I've heard). Anyway, it's an oral medication that I'll take for 8 days.

5. I have to take an enema tomorrow night. (seriously?! ok, we'll get back to that in a second)

6. Retrieval is scheduled for Wednesday!

Ok, so this enema...um, what? No one forwarned me about this part! I know it pales in comparison to what I've been through so far...so get over it Kara. But really....I was NOT expecting that. I've never known exactly what it was until I called my mom for clarification...I'm sure she's still got a ringing in her ear from the scream through the phone. YUCK! I think I've been pretty good about not complaining about things too much....so give me a moment here to gripe about this!

So, the instructions for tomorrow (Tuesday) are this -
*eat a light supper
*take a Fleet's enema after supper
*drink 16 oz of water at bedtime
*do not eat or drink anything after midnight
*be at the doctor's office at 7:30am Wednesday morning, procedure at 8:30

When we get to the doctor's office Wednesday morning they will go over everything with us, we will sign consent forms, and then they hook me up to an IV and away we go! Time for retrieving eggs. I told Jason today I feel like I need to go sit on a pile of hay ready to lay eggs...like a chicken! I'm so glad that Jason and I both can find some humor in all of this...our quirky sense of humor has gotta be what keeps us sane. So, yes, make all the chicken/egg jokes you like...we are doing the same.

As you can imagine we are SO very excited! Here are some specific things I'd like all my prayer warriors to concentrate. Please pray for continued calm patience over the next 2 days, pray for things to go smoothly with the procedure, pray for the widsom of the doctors, nurses and staff to shine through for us on Wednesday, pray for Jason to contiue to be my emotional rock during this, pray for the fertilization portion to go as planned, pray for God's will to be done (as I know it will), pray for the future family that Jason and I so long to have.

4 comments:

  1. Yay what good news!! I laughed out loud at the enema part. I'm with you YUCK!! Like I've said before my fingers and toes are crossed and I'm praying for you that everything goes perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you will know what someone means when they say, "I'd rather take and enema than... I'm confident it will all go well. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My word verification for the previous comment post was, "putsy". Really. I almost couldn't type it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can they do what Celine did and freeze a couple so you don't have to go through all this if you want a second or third child?

    Also, I am SO FREAKING excited for you guys...I check your blog several times a day to look for updates! Yay for you!!!

    ReplyDelete